Galvin Engineering is an ISO 14001 certified company and is a strong advocate for looking after the earth, and especially preserving Western Australia’s lands, coasts, wildlife, vegetation & climate.
Galvin Engineering designs and supplies specialised taps, water management systems and fixtures, and crafts premium machined castings. Within these ranges Galvin Engineering manufactures a wide range of environmentally friendly products such as WELS approved water saving tapware; fittings used in solar hot water systems; self - closing mechanical and electrical tapware, etc. Our foundry uses locally sourced recycled steel scrap, and recycles non - ferrous runners, risers, swarf and reject material.
As a long standing and highly ethical corporate citizen, Galvin Engineering is committed to protecting the environment by:
- Providing resources to meet the requirements of ISO 14001 and our environmental policy
- Supporting the efforts of the Environmental / Community Committee which consists of employees from different departments of the Company.
- Promoting internal awareness by supporting projects that seek solutions to environmental problems and improve the sustainability of the global environment.
- Provide a leadership role in the wider community by actively encouraging our employees to promote environmental awareness outside of the workplace to family and friends.
- Integrating environmental stewardship into all facets of our operations.
- Fostering the sustainable use of the earth’s resources by careful selection of environmentally conscious suppliers.
- Complying with all industry, state and federal environmental laws and regulations.
Every Galvin Engineering employee has a responsibility to protect Australia’s unique environment and way of life in every reasonable way possible. In support of this policy, Galvin Engineering commits to the following strategic environmental objectives:
- We will achieve compliance with all applicable environmental requirements.
- We will monitor and continually improve the environmental management system that is consistent with the requirements of ISO 14001, and effectively train our employees and contractors on all systems involved with environmental management.
- We will integrate sound environmental practices and compliance into our design and decision - making processes, in consideration of the potential impact of our activities on the environment.
- We will adopt cost effective practices to eliminate, minimise or mitigate environmental impacts.
- We will establish appropriate environmental performance indicators to guide our efforts and measure our progress and performance.
- We will reduce our carbon footprint as much as practical and monitor greenhouse gas emissions against the standards set by the NGERS (National Green House and Energy Reporting Scheme).
- We will recycle wood, paper, sand, plastic and metals as much as practicable, with zero recyclables to land-fill.
Current Company initiatives include but are not limited to:
- The use of extraction fans and filtration systems for foundry emissions.
- The use of water efficient devices in taps, shower heads, urinals, etc
- The use of recycled paper.
- The re-use and recycling of used paper and cardboard packaging.
- The re-use and recycling of wood waste.
- The return to recycling companies of used batteries, printer cartridges, mobile phones and computer equipment.
- The use of energy efficient lighting in offices and in the factory.
- Minimizing the use of air conditioners and heaters.
- Continual redesign of products and improvements in processes to reduce waste.
- Reusing scrap or reject metals.
- Recycling sand used in the foundry.
- Donating to the Conservation Council of WA.
- Actively promoting and supporting activities such as Clean Up Australia Day.
Auditing of the environmental system is the responsibility of the Compliance Manager, with full support from the Directors. This ensures that the system and procedures contained within the manual are understood, implemented, and maintained at all levels in the organisation.