The Prince Charles Medium Secure Mental Health Facility
Author: Madlin Zamir Date Posted:27 June 2019
The objective of this project was to provide upgrades to the bathrooms of The Prince Charles Hospital Medium Secure Mental Health Facility.
The main priorities were:
1. To offer a more modern bathroom with ligature resistant features for all sanitary and tapware products.
2. To provide a safe and homely environment for the patients and carers.
3. To provide the best infection control tapware for the showers and basin with ligature and vandal resistant features.
Chermside QLD 4032
The Prince Charles Hospital Medium Secure Facility is a refurbishment of the 25 bathrooms in the existing Mental Health Facility. With a completion time of 6 months, each ward was
completed in stages and the facility was always live – i.e Patients were removed from their rooms each morning and brought back each evening. The existing plumbing and wall structure had to be taken into account in the design.
Galvin S/S Cabinets were utilised in the installation of the Wallgate product range for the rear fixing of the basin and access to the trap. The 4-month installation timeframe was crucial so a clear program was required to ensure that there were no project delays.
The Wallgate and Galvin products specified for this project were selected to address the priorities of Ligature resistance, Infection control and robustness required for a Mental Health facility. The Galvin team presented to the Prince Charles Mental Health Hospital and BEMS team. The complete product range was displayed on a showcase as well as a 3D image of the Wallgate hand basin layout for installation.
The Galvin Team outlined in detail a program for staged supply so that each ward was installed and finished in the required timeframe. The Galvin team worked closely with the Metro-North BEMS and design team to ensure that the products specified were not only fit for purpose but were easily installed and maintained. The patients had newly refurbished bathrooms that were safe, homely and comfortable, moving away from the traditional institutionalised bathroom.
Builder: Fixed Group
Plumber: Scott Mothersole Plumbing
- Wallgate Toilets - Standard and PWD Pans
- Wallgate Basins - WHB -181 range
- Wallgate Accessories - Toilet Roll Holders, Mirrors and Shelves
- Galvin Progressive Mixers with Anti Ligature Handles
- Galvin S/S Cabinets - Providing access panel to the P traps and rear fixed basin
- Galvin Safe Cell Drainage Grates
- Galvin Shower rose
- Galvin Safe Cell tapware - Laundry & kitchen facilities
- Galvin Electronic Sensor - For basin activation
- GalvinCare Ligature Resistant grab rails
To download PDF Case Study click on the thumbnail below: