- Lead Safe
- About Us
- News & Articles
Galvin Engineering was an important member of a project team that delivered an expansion of the Dillwynia Correctional Centre for NSW Corrective Services. The project increased the capacity of the Centre to 531 beds, making it Australia’s largest women’s prison. Galvin Engineering helped design and install a water management system and specialised correctional tapware products to deliver a safe environment that supports the women’s wellbeing and rehabilitation.
- Large, complex Greenfield site: On time, in full delivery of a fully networked water management solution was achieved in alignment with a rapid building program, in a high security environment and while the Centre continued to operate.
- Exacting Government requirements: Delivered under the NSW Government’s $3.8 billion Better Prisons program, Galvin Engineering professionally managed the significant amount of commissioning and documentation required by the State.
- An award-winning project: The Dillwynia Correctional Centre expansion won a 2020 World Design Award and was also recognised by the AIA Academy of Architecture for Justice.
Reducing stress on an overloaded system
A significant shortage of prison beds for female inmates in New South Wales was the impetus for a major expansion of Dillwynia Correctional Centre, located in Berkshire Park in Sydney. As well as reducing overcrowding, new facilities were needed to enhance the Centre’s capacity to prepare women for life outside of prison. A key objective for Dillwynia is to reduce reoffending by 5 per cent by 2023.
A trauma-informed approach that considered the experiences of inmates was essential to developing a design solution. The Centre wanted to both keep staff and inmates safe, and promote healing.
Being a large, high security facility housing people who may be dealing with trauma and poor mental health—it was critical that the tapware and sanitaryware designs were suitable for high-risk areas, being both vandal-proof and encouraging positive health outcomes. Additionally, commissioning the complex water system required for the upgrade had to be done in accordance with State Government requirements.
Supplying know-how to achieve security and wellbeing
Galvin Engineering worked closely with the core project team comprising NBRS Architects, Fluid Contracting and John Holland, to deliver a safe environment. Our strong experience in water system design and anti-ligature correctional products made us the ideal choice to supply a solution for the Dillwynia Correctional Centre.
We worked alongside, and instilled confidence in the project’s plumbers—who were reassured by our ability to supply and commission protective and vandal-resistant products in high-risk areas and to exacting standards.
Products like our Wallgate Dual Flush Piezo Touch Button WC with GalvinCare® Cold Water Basin Outlet and duct mounted GalvinCare® Flowmatic® shower solution, which have an anti-ligature design and were used on this project to help reduce self-harm and fit the restricted space.
To complete the solution, Wallgate Electronic Water Controllers were also supplied. The controllers can manage water only, or water, lighting, and power to one or two rooms. This innovative washroom solution was ideal for the Centre’s secure environment as it is designed and manufactured to be robust and efficient.
All products are easy to install, and the electronic controllers activate and manage both the associated outlet and the whole washroom environment.
The facility upgrades delivered through this project include:
- 248 maximum and medium-security beds
- New educational and activities amenities
- 73 inmate employment opportunities
- New visitor and inmate processing centre
How Galvin Engineering supported the project’s success:
- Designed a complex, fully networked water management system
- Delivered commissioning and documentation required by the State
- Designed and supplied anti-ligature products for inmate accommodation
- Supported plumbers to effectively install specialised tapware products
- Supplied general tapware for health clinic, common areas, and staff amenities
|Location: 2 The Northern Road, Berkshire Park NSW 2756||Architect: NBRS Architects|
|Project start: April 2019||Builder: John Holland|
|Project completion: August 2021||Developer: NSW Government|
|Plumbing Contractor: Fluid Contracting||Value of Overall Project: $86.2 million|
Supporting a calm and safe environment for all
Our timely and professional delivery of a water management solution resulted in a quality build—as evidenced by the fact there was only one call-out during the 12-month defects liability period.
We contributed to an award-winning project that successfully incorporates a trauma-informed care approach to create secure yet soothing facilities that emphasise wellbeing and support rehabilitation.
Our water system design and specialised tapware products have helped to create a safe, calm, and empowering environment for inmates, staff and visitors alike—ensuring the expanded Centre is not merely a prison, but a place of healing.
- Wallgate Dual Flush Piezo Touch Button with 4m Cable; to suit Panelling (0-85mm Wall)
- GalvinCare® CP-BS Mental Health Anti-Ligature Basin Outlet High Flow 15MI X 75mm Long
- Flowmatic® Prison Ducted Low Pro Ezy-Grip Shower Mixer with Soap Holder 24V AC
- Wallgate Electronic Water Controller 2 Rooms / 8 Outlets Programmable